Monday, January 30, 2012

Need Native German Translation (English to German)?

What is the meaning of:



Fernseher and Fernsehen?



Which word is mostly used in German speaking countries? Television (or) Fernseher (or) Fernsehen?Need Native German Translation (English to German)?
I'm not a native speaker of German, but my kids watch a heck of a lot of German TV.



Der Fernseher is the thing, the tv set.



Fernsehen (not capitalized, but it's the beginning of my sentence) is the verb "to watch tv" and das Fernsehen is the noun that comes from the verb, i.e. the action of watching tv.



I've seen ads for both "Fernseher" and "TVs" but not "Televisions". I think the verb and "das Fernsehen" are used for the activity.





Note that the verb is "trennbar" so you would say "Ich sehe fern."Need Native German Translation (English to German)?
I'm a native speaker and the previous answer is correct.



I want to add that "Fernsehen" does not only describe the action of watching TV, but "im Fernsehen" also means "on TV".



The word "television" is defiinitely not used in German. "TV" is sometimes written, but it's usually not used in spoken language.Need Native German Translation (English to German)?
The only thing I can add to the postings above is that Television is occasionally used in the name of tv stations. Tele5 still has some remnants of that. And I think it's used in Swiss German as a word for tv (the thing), but maybe theres someone Swiss around who can comment on this?
Fernseher - one that appears on TV



Fernsehen - to appear on TV



im - on

im Fernsehen - on television
  • auto salvage
  • romance novels
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment